Monday, May 8, 2017

The Funny Formula

As we stepped out of the subway station near Lincoln Center, as we do every Thursday, my daughter started to laugh delightedly.  It took me a minute and then I saw it: a new piece of public art, a sculpture of a hippo wearing a tutu.



When I posted the picture to Facebook and asked my friends what fictional character they thought it reminded me of, I was surprised by the number of answers.  While I had thought of Martha of George and Martha, dancing hippos are apparently everywhere - in Fantasia, in Sandra Boynton's work, and in Karma Wilson's Hilda Must Be Dancing.

Martha doing the Dance of the Happy Butterfly

George in the studio

George performing the Mexican Hat Dance
Hilda disco-ing
Hilda doing the flamenco
Sandra Boynton's Dancing Hippos
Dancing hippos are just funny.  It makes sense.  Large and unwieldy + graceful activity = funny.

And for good measure, one more hippo, not dancing this time, but still wreaking havoc and making readers laugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment