Tuesday, April 12, 2011

(Un)welcome Guests

 

I would not be too happy if a mouse decided to visit me.  But in A Visitor for Bear by Bonny Becker,
curmudgeonly Bear learns the value of companionship when an originally unwelcome mouse visits him and won't take no for an answer.  My kids literally laughed out loud each time the persistent mouse returned and the mouse's Britishisms (he wants "a spot of tea," is "terribly sorry" and says Bear has been "most kind") in a book which appears to have no connection to England made me chuckle.  With a story both humorous and heartwarming, this is one of my new favorites.  Apparently Becker has since written two more Bear and Mouse stories and a third will be published in September.  I've put the two published ones on hold at the library and am interested to and see how they measure up to the first.

In Bernard Waber's Do You See A Mouse?, the title character has invaded a fancy hotel, a hotel that cannot, does not, harbor a mouse!  And so it employs two inept mouse-catchers. Can you find the mouse when they can't?

Although the two books above make no secret of the fact that the mouse keeps reappearing, a popular theme in children's books is a hidden mouse who appears on each page.  Classics such as Goodnight Moon and Good Night, Gorilla employ this device as do some (all?) of the books in the adorable touch-and-feel Usborne series That's Not My [Lion, Monkey, etc.] (my favorite is That's Not My Monster).  I'm sure there are others - if you know of any, please tell me about them!

In the meantime, enjoy these (thankfully fictional) mice.

2 comments:

  1. Eventually I'm going to write about Everybody Bonjours! which also has a hidden mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think mice are cuteApril 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM

    Now that I think about it, its much easier for a mouse to appear on each page than an elephant.

    ReplyDelete